Friday, July 06, 2007

When Did It Happen?

I am the lyrics Queen. I pride myself on knowing every word. to every song. ever written. So, when did I become the old woman who watched the Today Show this morning in horror as a rock band was spewing out words I couldn't understand? To make matters worse, there were hundreds of people--of all ages mind you--singing a long like they actually knew what the kid was screaming, um, I mean singing.

"Who in the heck is that?!," I ask myself. FALL OUT BOY, one sign read. Is that a command or is it actually the name of the band? Now, for those of you much "cooler" than me, you might think it crazy that I was oblivious to this group... but here they were, on my morning news show, with throngs of fans doing the unified fist pump and I was lost. They were singing something over and over that everyone understood--except me. When did I lose my way? When did the winds of hipness and youth blow through town and leave me all alone... I must have been in the bathroom or somethin.

When it comes to music, I like a little bit of everything--pop, rock, country, rap, hip-hop, classical, folk--you name it. But, I think I know what happened.

I'm stuck.

I'm caught in that window of time between being young and "in the know" music-wise and having kids that are listening to the stuff. Something happens in the canyon of time when, to escape the sounds of Dora the Explorer and the theme song to the Backyardigans ("and we're your backyard friends .... the Back Yaaaaarrrrrrdigans..." ), I immerse myself in my favorite music courtesy of iTunes; thereby skipping all things new.

I'm sure there'll come a time when I am headbanging with my son to some current hit and he'll think me cool. But...for now, I think I'll go fist pump to some rockin' John Denver hit.

I am so hip.

5 comments:

Girl Gone Wild - BibleStyle said...

ROFLMAO!!!! You.Crack.Me.Up!

I wasn't good at lyrics...at all!, so I'd just head bang with the rest, hoping of all hope that my hair would hide my terrible lip-synching.

dewde said...

Join SLacker or last.fm and you will always be in the know. They analyze your listening habits via a downloadable program tha monitors your iTunes... and then it runs analytics on you listening habits compared to other people that like what you like. The program that runs on you machine will run streamed web audio of bands and songs that you presently are not listening to, but that other people with your taste *are* listening to.

And don't give me crap about preposition placement, lady.

peace|dewde

dewde said...

r, r, r, r, r

(i think those r's were missing off a few words in my comment. And here I was worried about grammar!)

Roses Are Red, Violets are Violet said...

cool tip, dewde. Thank you. I mean, thank your...oops, I mean you.

;-)

Anonymous said...

TOO funny! I am in the "know" only out of necessity...I have to know what my students are listening to in order to have some connection with them...the musical selections on my IPOD amaze them and the surprise of my "coolness" hooks them...so if you have questions about Fall Out Boy or My Chemical Romance(MCR), just let me know...I will keep you hip :-) Denny