Thursday, July 26, 2007

He Gets It

As open as we are with our son about the details of his adoption, I often wonder if he "gets it." Does he really understand the process and is he as excited/anxious about our next child as we are? I think I got my answer tonight.

We were watching a show that my hubby had recorded about teenage mothers giving up their children for adoption. I got pretty emotional as I listened to their stories and realized the enormity of their decisions. Tears were streaming down my face as I overheard my husband explaining what was going on to our son.

"You see, the mommies giving birth aren't able to take care of the babies so they have chosen a new family for them to grow up in..."

"And what's next?," my son asked.

"Well, they have to find a family that is waiting for a child to love."

"Then why don't they just call us?!," Daniel exclaimed.

By george, I think he gets it.

5 comments:

Girl Gone Wild - BibleStyle said...

wow...he does get it! That put a cotton ball in my throat....

Anonymous said...

that's awesome. i just love dan the man. what a smart kid! (with a HUGE heart!)

Anonymous said...

I agree that he understands...he also knows how blessed he is to have YOU guys as his parents!
love Denny

Rodney Olsen said...

I'm at work on the radio at the moment.

I must remember not to read your posts immediately before turning on my microphone.

It's hard to read what I'm about to say when my eyes get a little misty.

MamaGeek @ Works For Us said...

Wow, he is soooo lucky to have you as parents and you are soooo lucky to have him too! great post!