Monday, May 28, 2007

Reassurance

Yowwwwwwwwwww! I shivered frantically as the icy water splashed around me. Half of my body now immersed into our neighbborhood swimming pool, my son stood at the top of the steps--not quite as brave as, and probably much smarter than, me.

"Is it cold, Mommy?"

"Um, yes...brrrr...but, c'mon in...it'll warm up, I promise." Of course, I sounded confident but had still had not mustered the courage to dip below the water's frigid surface.

"OK," he stammered... lip quivering in anticipation..."1---2---3!" He lept into my arms and squealed in delight as the water splashed on his already tanned little body.

"Hold me, Mommy. Hold me tight!" I still love hearing him say those words. There are times when his fierce independence makes him seem much older than his five years. So, when he shows even a tad of vunerability and "clinginess" I secretly eat it up.

We waded through the water letting ourselves aclimate our bodies to the cold temperature. His chin rested squarely on my shoulder and his arms were wrapped tightly around my neck as we glided along.

Finally, I urged him to swim on his own with me close behind. "Ok, Mommy...but will you hold my hand for a little while?" he asked. "Of course I will. I won't leave you...I'll be right here," I reassured him.

"You'll always be here for me, won't you Mommy?"

You'd better believe it, my sweet boy.

No comments: