Sunday, May 13, 2007

Motherhood

Although I know she meant well, a friend of mine in church was telling our group of fourth grade girls (as they worked on a homemade Mother's day gift) that "Ms. Katie doesn't have a mother. Her Mom died a few years ago."

You know, the comment really didn't sink in until a little while later. Doesn't have a mother? I guess she's right. But, not really.

I do have a mother. Of course she's in heaven right now pain-free and having the time of her life...or, well, her eternal life. Anyway, you know what I mean. Then there's my stepmother. Different than my Mom in so many ways, but possessing her own special qualities...great cook, friend to many, horse-lover, sharp business skills... And, I can't forget about my mother-in-law. Again, vastly different than my own mother but her life experience has made her into a unique and wonderful person. Having lost her own mother as a teenager, she struggled to help raise her brothers and sisters--acting as a surrogate mother to them. She is a humble and simple woman who's greatest accomplishment to me was raising the fine young man that I eventually married. His faith and strength are something that I thank her for in my heart every day. One last woman whom I consider to be a role model in my life is my own sister. Yes, I'm the "older" sister to her...but she is the closest thing to my Mom on this earth. Her mannerisms, emotions, humor...they so closely resemble Mom that, even four years after her death, I have yet to feel like I am completely without that woman in my life.

I am also blessed with a number of friends who serve to fill the gap in my "motherless" world. There are friends that keep me on the straight and narrow, who challenge my decisions, who listen, empathize and laugh with me. Both local and long distance, these women provide companionship and confidence, comfort and compassion...

Happy Mother's Day to all the "mothers" in my life.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am very blessed by the beautiful example of motherhood that you have shown me!
You truly are an inspiration!
Daniel is a lucky, lucky boy!!
And, as your friend,
so am I!!!!

Unknown said...

That was well put. I hope your Mother's Day was wonderful.