Monday, August 20, 2007

Perspective

Today was a rough day.

Without going into all the nitty gritty details, suffice it to say that I received a one-two-and maybe even-three punch with some expenses dropped on us... we had a planned renovation of a guest bath that ended today... "cha-ching"...then our home study expired for our adoption so that expense is upon us...cha-ching... then my golden retriever gets sick from a bone she ate and I take her to the vet. Twenty minutes later the doc comes out with a diagnosis of "let's keep an eye on her" and they bring in the bill. $500.

FIVE HUNDRED DOLLARS, Y'ALL.

X-rays, blood work... and a wait and see and I'm suddenly $500 in the hole. It's not that she not worth it...or that their expertise is not worth it...it's just that I was expecting something around $100.

Later on, I was reminded by a friend (kiddingly) about a nice chat I had with a deputy sherrif on the way home from Florida that resulted in a a little yellow piece of paper. Oh yeah, that, too. Cha-ching. Cha-ching.

So, I was sharing my financial woes with hubby who's traveling on business. And, he just so happened to be traveling through a city where we used to live and he had this thought on my our situation:

"You know, there was a time when we were right outta' college and you used to drive a long way to work, twice a day for next to nothin...and then your car broke down and we didn't have the money to fix it...and that time our power went out and we lost all our groceries and couldn't afford to replace them...you know what? We've come a long way since then. No matter what, we're gonna be O.K."

That's all I needed. A little reassurance from my glass-half-full guy. I love that man.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you have Keith to share the your life with no matter how fat your wallet is/is not!!
Gotta love that!
Sorry it was a rough day!

Anonymous said...

Our glass would be a little more full if that dog wouldn't have eaten a ham bone, huh?

BKB

lorettaspeaks said...

Things would probably seem better if the glass was half full due to the fact it had some fine red wine in it and you drank the other half.

Lexy said...

Damnation, I think your vet had a boat payment due and trust me I know all about vet bills... sorry you had a stinky day.

Jen Greven said...

Man, I feel your pain. Everything always happens at the same time!!!

Jen <---whose car died today because I need a new battery, and I just so happen to need an oil change too!