Monday, August 06, 2007

I Need a Valium...or Three

At 2:00am this morning I finally got to my hotel room in Orlando, pulled back the covers, crawled in and went straight to sleep.

Now, lemme back it up for you.

It's 2:00pm yestersday and hubby and I arrive at the Chicago airport in plenty of time for his flight back to Atlanta which departs at 5:00pm. Mine leaves an hour and a half later (6:30pm) so I was there 4.5 hours early. But--I'd have extra time with Keith since we wouldn't get to see each other for two whole weeks.

We check in at separate airlines (me Air Tran, him Delta). After checking in, I ntoiced a 3:30pm flight that would get me back to Orlando at 6:30pm. Tempting--but that would only give me an hour with Keith so I kept walking. I found him in line to check in and, when I did, the agent had just informed him there was plenty of room on the 3:45 flight if he'd like to go. He looked at me and I knew he really wanted to get home to get ready for work the next day, etc. so I told him I'd go try to get on the earlier flight myself.

I hurry back to the Air Tran counter and ask if there are seats on the 3:30pm flight.

"Yes," the ticket agent replied.

"Can I switch to that one? " I ask.

"You could, but you checked luggage. Regulations state that you cannot check luggage onto a flight you're not on. You have to be with your luggage."

At this point, I wasn't going to fight it. I'd read, browse in the gift shop, grab an early dinner...no big deal. It's 2:30pm.

Then I saw Keith. I guess my "PMS-tainted-we've never been apart this long" emotions got the better of me. Yes, y'all, there were tears. Here I was stuck in the Chicago airport (the smaller one at that) for 4 hours and it was all of my own doing.

Fast forward to four hours later. We are on the plane, buckled up and ready to go...some of us more than others. A cheerful captain comes across the intercom announcing there have been some weather delays so we're gonna hold off departing for a little while. Lawd have mercy.

7:00pm: "Folks, we have to go out to the runway to take a spot in line but we still haven't been cleared to fly. Sit tight."

Somewhere during this time, condensation from the coolant starts dripping on our heads. People are agitated. Babies are crying (2 babies and a toddler sitting in the seat behind me). Flight attendants are passing out paper towels for us to stuff in the cracks by the air vents. It's not looking good.

8:00pm: "Folks, they've come up with a new route for us but it takes us out west (remember, we're going to Orlando) so we have to return to the gate for more fuel. Don't wanna get over Iowa and run out now do we?" He chuckles. OK, Mr. Last Comic Standing...are you gonna get me to Orlando or what? The natives were getting restless.

9:00pm: "OK, folks looks like we're ready to take-off. Our new estimated arrival is 12:30am." Groans are heard throughout the cabin.

I think to myself that I could have gotten in at 6:30pm if I'd been able to take that earlier flight. BUT--I understood regulations, safety,having to be with your bags. So, oh well...I'd deal with it.

12:30am: we arrive in Orlando. Child behind me (bless his heart, I really do feel for him) has screamed the ENTIRE flight. We deplane and head to baggage claim. Obviously they haven't had time to pull the luggage off yet so I'm setting off to find somewhere to plug my phone in to call Keith.

That's when I spot them.

Two black bags with white polka dots. Sitting alone in the dark outside the Air Tran window. You have to be kidding me.

Yep, you guessed it. They arrived...safe and sound...six hours earlier...

...on the 3:30pm flight.

I won't even go into the ordeal of getting to my car. There's only so much a girl can blog about without her head exploding you know?

4 comments:

lorettaspeaks said...

I feel sick just reading it, can't imagine living it!!

Anonymous said...

again i say, no trip is dull with you, is it? ;-) glad you're safe...hope the rest of your trip is MUCH more relaxing.

Anonymous said...

SO sorry!!!!!
I guess the bright side is this---at least a huge tree limb didn't almost decapitate you!
HA! :-)
Hope you have sweet, sweet, sweet dreams! Wish I could read fantastic poems to you as you drift off...

Beth said...

ugh. I am so sorry this happened to you. It brought a lump to my throat, it made me so sad.