Saturday, August 18, 2007

Lullabye Dreams

I stood there and surveyed the room. The light yellow walls were soft and pale and gave off a soothing glow in the late afternoon sun. The crib was ready and the rocking chair sat patiently waiting in the corner...waiting to engage in its gentle back and forth motion as lullabies fill the room.

On the other side of the room was a changing table with baskets of tightly rolled washclothes...all freshly laundered and in neat little rows. The diaper stacker contained the exact number of brand new diapers that it would hold and a box of unopened baby wipes stood at its ready position. I felt a lump in my throat as I watched my friend Melissa point out all the new "baby things" she received at her shower. Soft-sided building blocks and a basket of snow white bibs await the child that is soon to be theirs.

They received the call earlier today.

The birthmother is having contractions and all the signs point to a soon-to-be-delivery. Airline reservations were hastily made, suitcases were sitting atop the bed and the anticipation floated in the air...the same air that held wishes and dreams of a child of their own...the very air where prayers had been uttered night after night and where two wonderful people talked of one day starting a family.

As hard as I tried to hold them back, the tears flowed freely as I watched her proudly move about the room. It was ready. This once guest/catch-all room had been transformed into the perfect nursery. My emotions got the best of me as I recalled the evening before we flew to pick up our own son. Even now as I write, tears well up in my eyes as I thank God for bestowing upon our friends this very special gift.

Not long from now, they will hold their baby and they will discover the limitless love presented to a parent the moment they behold the face of their child. Very soon there will be laughter and tears and sweet, sweet dreams...lullabye dreams there in the pale yellow room.

I can't think of anyone more deserving.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i don't even know what to say. tears streaming down my face. we love you guys! melissa