Wednesday, August 22, 2007

10.0

I was at the height of teenage angst when the 1984 Olympics aired. What young girl in America didn't want to be Mary Lou Retton, standing up there on the podium, accepting the Olympic gold metal?

Never having much of a gymnast body (or talent for that matter), I could only dream of floor routines, double twisty things on the uneven bars and pulling off a vault worthy of a 10.0

But, under water I can.

Tonight, the husband and son unit accompanied me to the pool for a late night swim. As my husband rocketed my five year old through the air, I did somersaults and floated on my back in the cool water. As I was performing my best aquatic acrobatics, I realized that--underwater-- I can be whatever I want to be... especially a gymnast. The weightlessness that the water provided allowed me to stretch my body and perform everything from a tuck and twist to a fully outstretched layback position. Of course, when I landed (simultaneously on both feet like any respectable gymnast aims to do...) I threw my arms back in a victorious manner...10.0...the crowd goes wild....

OK...wayyyyyyy too many people read this that know me. What in the heck and I doing giving them even MORE fodder for ridicule than I already have? :-)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahhhh...I can feel the floaty weightlessness even as I read...
LOVE that feeling.
Such freedom! So glad you were able to enjoy it tonight!

Anonymous said...

you know what's funny? as i was reading about your performance (worthy of a 10, i might add), i was thinking "i'm surprised she's writing about this". hehe :-) you're too funny and i'm glad you put it all out there to share with us all. gave me a good chuckle this morning. love ya!

Girl Gone Wild - BibleStyle said...

HA! That's hilarious! You got some wacky imaginations, Katie! That's what I love about you...you just put out there what some of us (ahem) think about putting out there!

lorettaspeaks said...

I would like to challenge you to an underwater battle of the want to be gymnasts.

Roses Are Red, Violets are Violet said...

You're on sista!

Jen Greven said...

LOL!