Sunday, August 05, 2007

Come Sail Away...

...come sail away, come sail away with me...

Keith and I have spent the weekend in the Windy City and have had a blast. Of course, I've had to work quite a bit touring four different properties...but we have managed to work in a little sightseeing, too. :-)

My hubby surprised me last night, though. He had booked a late night cruise on Lake Michigan that provided breathtaking views of the Chicago skyline at night. It was quite chilly with a sprinkling rain shower as we set sail on the tall schooner-style ship named the "Windy II." What a treat!

As we cleared the jetty and entered the open water, the engine was cut off and the sails took over. The most remarkable part was the silence...the city was abuzz with lights, cars, the normal hub-bub of a weekend in the city and we could not hear a thing. It was as if we were watching a colorful silent film before our eyes...only the sound had been replaced by the sound of gulls and our boat creaking as it bobbed up and down on the waves. I could feel every ounce of tension drip out of my body. I vowed then and there to live my life at sea. Forever.

OK, so not really.

But, it was a wonderful evening capped off by fireworks with the skyline as a backdrop. I can't convey how safe and content I felt...a summer evening with a cool breeze whipping through my hair, my hubby's arms wrapped around me for warmth and the gentle knock of waves against our boat...

Bliss. Sheer bliss, I tell ya.

4 comments:

lorettaspeaks said...

Ahhhh... I'm imagining myself there right now. Well...maybe not exactly there betwixt the 2 of you ... How about this - I'm imagining myself 2 feet to the left of you, exhilerated by the sea spray. :)

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a romantic weekend you had! That was very sweet of Keith to surprise you like that!

Anonymous said...

I love living in Georgia---but I soooooo miss downtown Chicago---always a fun place to visit---no plans ever needed to have a good time!--
jody

Anonymous said...

ahhhh, i am most jealous!