Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Memes, Memes Everywhere

To be honest, I didn't know what a "meme" was in the land of bloggedyville. Now, I'm guessing it's something that tells about oneself ...hence the name "me...me". Anyhoo, I've been tagged twice this week. Once by Laura at My Quotidian Mysteries and also by Beth at I Should Be Folding Laundry.

Here goes:

"My Personal Policies"
This one cracked me up because, the more you get to know me the more you'll understand, I'm not really a personal-policy-kinda gal. Sure I have things that are important to me so maybe I'll hit it from that angle. Things that are important to me:



  • Courtesy. In any shape or form. Consideration of others is one of the "rules" which I live by. If walking by someone and it's just the two of us...I'm gonna say hello. Why act like there is not another human being there? Saying hello, thank you, please...all of these are tied into being courteous....which leads me into something which could be mentioned here but deserves its own bullet...
  • "Ma'am/Sir". Yes, I'm one of those old-fashioned mamas who actually makes my son say "yes or no ma'am/sir" to grown ups. It is how I was raised and I feel pretty strongly about it. Now, if you don't do this with your kids I don't think there's anything wrong with it. It's simply how I was raised (you know us Southerners) and I want Daniel to grow accustomed to saying it...which he has for the most part.
  • Capitalizing words referring to God. This has stuck with me through the years and I guess you could say it's become a "policy" of sorts. When referring to God as "Him" or "He"...I always capitalize it. Always. I just feel it's important.
  • Not rewarding whining. OOooh, this one is a biggie for me. I guess it took us so long to have kids, I got a chance to witness a lot of parenting do's and don'ts through the years. Of course, there are times when there could possibly be an exception to this (dire circumstances require dire measures) BUT...if Daniel is told "no" about something and begins to cry/pitch a fit/temper tantrum because of being told "no" and so I give in to him to get him to stop whining...he has been taught the way to get what he wants. I witness this so much in public that it makes me cringe. It would be a definite "policy" of mine!
  • Tapping the plane three times. I cannot believe I am divulging this superstitious policy of mine publically. Growing up, Mom taught me to tap the side of the plane three times for good luck while boarding. I have NEVER not tapped the plane. In fact, this is ridiculous (I know, believe me), one time I got scooted into the plane and I couldn't tap the side. I pretended to go to the front restroom and I stuck my hand out the door before it was closed to get my tap in. Superstition run amuck. Yes, I know. You don't have to remind me I'm a freak.



  • And the next meme was...

    My Five Favorite Restaurants -- in no particular order
    (focusing on food during a weight loss challenge...thanks, Beth!)

    1. Maggiano's (Atlanta) Italian restuarant with the BEST chicken florentine I have ever had. Swathed in bubbling, toasty cheese...oh my. Family style is the way to go so take friends!

    2. Brookwood Grill (Roswell, GA) To die for croissants drizzled in honey butter and french onion soup so good you'll slap yo' mama.

    3. J. Alexanders (Duluth, GA and Birmingham, AL)-- yummy. yummy. yummy. Cold orzo wild rice salad and an unbelieveable carrot cake that makes me like carrot cake. Trust me, I can't stand carrot cake.

    4. The Varsity (Atlanta) my folks met here and I've grown up going here. BEST chili dogs, onion rings and frosted orange in the world. It's a tradition. My hubby says we have to go there when his cholesterol drops to "a dangerously low level." ;-)

    5. Old Bay Steamer (Ft. Walton, FL and Point Clear, AL) Seafood...snow crab legs dipped in a delectable drawn butter and the BEST salad I've ever had.

    Ok, that's enough. Can't talk about food anymore. It's lunch time and I'm starving!

    4 comments:

    Anonymous said...

    very cute. and now i understand why you called jimmy last night. :-)

    Unknown said...

    Hello,

    You passed your airplane-tapping policy on to me. Thanks so very much. Yes Ma'am you did. I'd whine about it, but it clearly wouldn't do me any good. I'll ask Him to deliver me from this superstitious behavior.

    Off to lunch...

    ;-)

    Laura said...

    That's a terrific policy list! I'm SO intrigued by your plane-tapping. I've never, ever heard of that! It's pretty cute. :)

    Thanks for playing. I'm delighted to get to know you better.

    kittyhox said...

    I love the airplane tapping policy. I'm a fearful flyer and I think rituals like this really help us feel more confident on flights.

    But I would have to tap four times, because I hate odd numbers. That's one of MY personal policies! :)

    Also, I couldn't agree more on your rule about whining. That's definitely one of my rules, too. Although our son is only one and whines a lot and I'm not sure how to handle it at his young age. I try to be firm, but it will have a bigger effect when he's old enough to understand things a little better.

    How did you go about instilling the "yes maam, no sir" policy?

    I can't stand when children call other nonfamilial adults by their first names, so that's kinda similar.

    Fun stuff!

    And thanks for making me hungry for seafood! :)