Sunday, June 17, 2007

I've got Spirit yes I do...I've got Spirit...how bout you?

That USED to be my battle cry...my mantra as a walking, talking billboard for Spirit Airlines. Now? Not so much.

As my son and I headed to the Atlanta airport last Tuesday to take advantage of our $9 airfare--yep, $9 one way...here I go advertising for them again--excitement filled the car. I was going to inspect properties for a meeting in January and he was getting to spend time with my sister and her daughter while I worked.

Long story short: arrived at the ticket counter 42 minutes prior to my 10am departure where I was promptly and rudely notified that they had closed the flight 3 minutes prior. What? Airlines typically have 30 minute windows for closing. But Spirit? 45 minutes. I begged, I pleaded, I offered my first born (seeing as I've never been able to get pregnant I didn't think it too risky) but no dice. She simply said, "Nope. It's closed. There is nothing I can do. It's non-refundable. You could go tomorrow...but it would be $140...and the $77 you paid for today's flight cannot be applied to any future travel." What? What? Double what?

The concept of customer service completely thrown out the window, this woman smirked at me and said, "there is nothing I can do to help you. You should have been here at 9:15." I began to explain to her that Spirit Airlines had NEVER been on time in my experience with them and I KNEW that would be the case today--she simply kept shaking her head "no."

I could feel the steam beginning to shoot out of my ears. My son, confused by the exchange, began to ask, with tears welling up in his big brown eyes of course, "why can't we go to Florida, Mom? Can we not go see Aunt Jenny, Mom?" For Pete's sake. I marched off, luggage and child in tow, searching for other airlines to get there by my 1:00pm meeting time--or even that day at the very least. No luck.

As I turned to find a place to sit while I figured out what to do, I glanced up at the departure board which now read "Spirit Airlines Orlando departure...10:10 am" I knew it! DELAYED. I went back up to the counter, requested to see the manager to which the rude woman replied, "I AM the manager." Could my luck get any worse? I'm just sayin.

I quickly pointed out that the flight WAS indeed delayed which meant I would have been there within the window and she put her hand on the desk and, in a raised tone said, "Look...that flight could be delayed for FIVE HOURS and you still would not get on." I had no words. I think I simply mumbled something about not being surprised they were so cheap and I walked off.

Let me tell you how the rest of my day went. I decided to drive. 9 hours. To Orlando. With no movie player or snack to be found. I remedied the second problem by stopping in Target where I purchased a lap desk, markers, crayons, snacks, and play doh and then we hit the road. It was wonderful. We talked, we laughed, we sang, he played with play doh and colored pictures and then fell asleep two hours out for the remainder of the trip. No whining. No complaining. He was an angel and I will savor that undivided time with him for years to come.

We had a great time in Orlando and made it home safely Friday evening. I realize that low cost isn't always the best option and that some together time can be a healthy way to reconnect with a kid that you may already spend the majority of your day with. It certainly helped us make some memories.

Special thanks to the rudest woman on the planet. Because of her unwavering commitment to poor customer service, my son and I had a GREAT time together and I'm already looking forward to our next road trip!

2 comments:

Lighthousegal said...

Sometimes good things come from unexpected situations.
I think I would write the airlines and tell them about the experience that you had, no one, especially a manager should be that rude. If there were a reason that the flight was closed, she should have explained that in a nice manner and we all know that there are always exceptions.
I work at Target and deal with the public, you DON'T talk to people in that way, EVER.
Glad you had a good trip in spite of that woman.

Dianne said...

You know...that is an awesome post. Congratulation for seeing the silver lining in that cloud!

PS...I am NOT a fan of rude people work with the public....