Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Finishing Touches

All the last touches....

Surfactant in his lungs so he can breathe properly,
calcium and collagen and a dash of creativity.

A sense of humor perhaps,
or maybe an endless well of the deepest thoughts or ideas.

His femur needs to be a wee bit longer,
his heart able to beat alone a smidge stronger,
his eyes prepared to see the love pouring forth
from anxious family and friends...an ocular rainbow.

Anatomy, physiology, and spirit
combine to create the underpinnings of a boy.

A dark water world, for now his cocoon,
the canvas upon which the final finishing touches
glide breathlessly across forehead, lips, and cheek,

brush held,

just as he's held,

in the very hands of God Himself.


~Carolynn Clarke
__________________________________________________________

The beautiful poem above was written for our soon-to-be son J. Carolynn is a very dear friend whose path crossed mine during our adoption journey to Russia a few years ago. Her gift for writing is unsurpassed-- as you can see from the amazing way in which she described what our son is experiencing in these last days before being born.

Thank you Carolynn for putting into words the medical miracle of creating life, for putting these agonizing days of waiting into perspective and for being an amazing source of support. I cherish your friendship.

3 comments:

Megan Cobb said...

So beautiful. And descriptive. And true. And, waitaminute let me see if I can get this right... awesome.

Hee hee hee.

Love you to bits!

M

Anonymous said...

I cheated...early self-ndulgence today to read your blog before I'm done with my chores!
OH MY GOODNESS!!!
Very very sweet posting/comments, Katie...my favorite writer!
I thank the Lord everyday for the gift of your friendship...a cherished treasure!
I love your Christmas backdrop...AND, I KID YOU NOT...I was/am listening to George Winston's December album right now!!! That is TOO weird...I thought my music was skipping/freaking out b/c it went from my song to this one....we are two peas in a pod, my friend!
And...speaking of peas in a pod...I continue to pray and pray for little sweet pea getting ready to spring forth!!!
Hallelujah!!

Nicki said...

That is amazing and so beautiful! She has a wonderful talent. Her description is so accurate and true.