Tuesday, February 09, 2010

Birdsong

Birdsong. That's really a lovely word when you think about it. Birdsong. Kinda just rolls off your tongue conjouring up images of spring flowers in bloom and a cloudless sunshiny day filled with the delicate harmonies of birds dancing on the air.

Unless....the last name of the person who calls your home at 8:13pm to leave a chipper message that schools in your district are CLOSED the next day is...Birdsong. Then, the word loses just a bit of its sunshiny happiness. Unless you are a kid, of course.

I am sure Carol Birdsong is a lovely woman. I bet we would get a long just fine chatting over a cup of coffee maybe discussing politics or the weather or even American Idol. But when the husband person is out of town and I have appointments stacked up today like a pile o' pancakes, I dread hearing her voice on the other end of the line.

"Hellooooo Williamson County parents, THIS is Carol Birdsong...."

"Noooooo. Not Carol Birdsongggggggg!!!"

Now, don't get me wrong. I am the kind of parent who would love to take the day and frolic in the snow with my kiddos. But a day like today is nothing but wet, mushy, slushy mess...just enough to make the kids wanna go out but it's really too nasty to be a fun day outside.

But it happened. The call came. And just as I was about to rant about how clear the roads are this morning, I look out the window and it's snowing hard again.

OK, Carol Birdsong. I'll give ya a break on this one.

No comments: