Friday, March 21, 2008

A Good Friday, Indeed

I've always thought it a bit odd that the holiday that my family observes today-- the day our Savior was crucified--well, I always thought it was strange to call it GOOD Friday. As I've grown older, I understand more fully the concept of why his death is indeed good for me...good for this world. Without this sacrifice, I would never know the freedom of forgiveness and the simple beauty of God's grace. A grace that is imparted to me an a daily, if not hourly, basis.

As with many parents, I've dealt with the delicate balance needed in celebrating the "commercial" traditions of Easter along with focusing on the true reason for the holiday. We will do the obligatory Easter egg hunt in the morning as well as the jelly-bean-laden basket that my son will discover Easter morning. But he also knows that Jesus died for all of us and that the celebrating that we do is because he rose again. I see no harm in working in some of the traditions we observed when I was growing up...as long as it is tempered with the story of how Jesus died to save us of our sins. I guess it's all about perspective.

I'm grateful this Good Friday. I'm grateful because our family is back together...no longer separated but doing life together again. I'm grateful for a new home, and new friendships, and a new place where it truly feels as if we're where God intended us to be. But most of all, I'm grateful for my Savior. His life, His sacrifice...they are the real reasons I'm here.

It really is a Good Friday.

1 comment:

Cindy-Still His Girl said...

Beautiful, my friend.