Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Gag Me With a Spoon

OK, so I thought I'd run to the store tonight to find an outfit for a trip I'm taking to visit my sis in Tampa tomorrow. I'm none too pleased with my current selection of clothing and thought one new outfit wouldn't hurt.

But hurt it did.

I know we've had this 80's retro trend going on for some time now. But folks, please. We must stop the insanity. And quick.

The clothes that I saw on the racks this evening were, shall I say, AWFUL. Boxy, big-shouldered tunic-type shirts in pale pastel colored stripes (of course with a hint of gold yarn running through it. Blech.) One shirt/vest/combo-thingie I picked up looked like something comedian Paula Poundstone would wear...or better, yet, it would be part of the wardrobe for the female-gym-teacher-who-hates-men in a cheesy 80's movie. What are the fashion folks thinking?

Pink speckled boxy print with silver thread accents.

Puffy purple purses with a metallic buckle. (It was painful for me to even type that)

As I walked through one particular store and surveyed the damage, er, I mean INVENTORY, I was transported back to my junior year in high school. "Ooh, this black and white horizontally-striped tunic would look super great with those new stirrup pants I bought and my black flats."

Perish the thought.

All I ask for is something with a dart here or there. Some sort of shirt item that might actually make me look like I have a waist even if I don't. This is 2007, people. Did the fashion trend in the 1970's suddenly revert to poodle skirts? No. And for good reason.

I guess if you can't beat 'em, join 'em. For my flight tomorrow I'll don my best pair of Jordache jeans and a Coca-Cola shirt with the stiff white collar. With a Goody comb in my back pocket, I will be ready to take on the world. Perhaps I'll even start daydreaming about Rob Lowe or Ricky Schroeder again.

One never knows...

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

HILARIOUS! And so true! I'm with you all the way, Katie...stirrup pants under huge, bulky, layered socks and tank top strap peeking out from the gargantuan sweater hanging off one shoulder a la Flashdance....
Hmmmm, let's grab Molly Ringwald and go shopping for your travel attire (can't forget high top tennis shoes to go over the socks/stirrups)...just us three....

Girl Gone Wild - BibleStyle said...

LOL!!! No kidding! If I see people with the French roll at the bottom of their jeans I'll lose it.

Megan Cobb said...

PLEASE DON'T FORGET TO TEASE YOUR BANGS AND DOUSE THEM WITH AQUA NET. And, Rob Lowe? He is timeless. So you can day dream about him whenever it suits you, wearing whatever you like. :) Have a great visit with your sister!

Cindy-Still His Girl said...

I'll meet you at the roller rink with my comb in MY back pocket. We can do the couples' skate and the flea hop.

MelDrop's Corner said...

add some hot pink blush, pink & blue eye shadow, blue eyeliner, and blue mascara and you'll be good to go girl!

Nicki said...

That's hysterical. I recently went shopping and was experiencing the same things. It's just plain frightening, I tell you! Have a good trip.

Anonymous said...

Try shopping for your daughter with these clothes....See my blog to find out how my experience was.