Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Let the Negotiations Begin...

It's almost here. The holiday I hear about nine outta twelve months of the year.

Halloween.

Pagan holiday or not, my son thinks the chance to marry his two favotire pasttimes--dressing up in costumes and getting candy--is nothing short of heavenly. There are cyclical discussions that happen in this family's household: When is Christmas, what he wants for Christmas, what he would like for Christmas next year (this discussion occurs at 7:16am on Christmas Day), what he would like to do for his birthday and then...on the day in February after his birthday...the Halloween discussion begins.

I kid you not.

This year, the transition to "young man" costumes instead of cute little boy costumes has taken place. The emphasis on cute and adorable has given way to which superhero-weapon toting-scary-faced-metal skinned roboty-thing he wants to be. Luckily, I relied upon the fact that the particular costume of that genre was much too expensive.

That's when the wheels in his brilliant little mind started a-spinnin'.

"Mom, I know what I want to be for Halloween since I can't get that Transformer costume I want."

"What is that?," I ask.

"Al Roker. You know the weather man."

I have no words.

"We'll see, honey." The classic Mommy decision avoidance phrase.

The next day: "Mommy, I've changed my mind. I want to be the person at the airport that stands behind the counter and gives you the ticket-thingy to get on the airplane."

"A gate agent?," I ask.

"Yes. I want to be an airline gate agent," he declares.

"Alrighty then," I say. Making mental note to research "youth size gate agent costume."

Then, the last straw came this morning. I enter his room to awaken him from a peaceful slumber.

He meets me at his door.

"I've got it, Mommy! I know what I REALLYYyyyyyyy wanna be for Halloween. This is it!, " he exclaims.

"OK, what do you REALLY want to be for Halloween?"

"The guy that sings Rhinestone Cowboy."

I am dumbfounded.

"You want to be Glen Campbell for Halloween?," I ask.

"Yep!" Then he breaks out in song, "Like a Rhinestone Cowboy...bomp bommmmmmm...getting cards and letters from people I don't even know.... like a rhinestone cowboy......"

OK. His plot to force me to concede to the Transformer-type costume out of sheer exhaustion? Well, lemme just say the boy knows what he's doing. He has it all planned out. I'm sure they talk at recess and map out alternate/impossible costume strategies to wear down my defenses.

Little does he know I inherited enough creativity from my Mom to fulfill his very wish.

You wanna sing some Rhinestone Cowboy?

Your wish is my command. :-)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

THAT IS HILARIOUS! Daniel is a mess! Thankfully we have not discussed Halloween yet, but I am sure it will be some sort of Disney Princess/Hannah Montana/High School Musical montage(sp?). We will have to wait and see how that night will unfold.

Nicki said...

Luckily, Halloween doesn't get brought up in my house until the beginning of October. I personally do not like Halloween, and I despise all the candy the kids get, but the kids love to get dressed up and walk around the neighbor hording all the candy and seeing all their friends. Good luck with that costume. I'd love to see some pictures!

Anonymous said...

that is too funny! i'll come sing it with him...one of my FAVORITE kid songs EVER! I would ask my babysitter every day after school to play it over and over again (on a record player!).

Gayle said...

That kid has a future as a stand up comic. Please promise me you'll post a picture....whatever he decides.

Megan Cobb said...

I think he woulda made an absolutely brilliant Al Roker.

Also, this whole thing begs the question, Where did he hear Rhinestone Cowboy in the first place? UGH!

lorettaspeaks said...

Bless Him!

Lori - Queen of Dirty Laundry said...

LOVE IT! No matter who he eventually goes as, you know that photos will be required, right?

Cindy-Still His Girl said...

HILARIOUS!! What kid thinks of being Al Roker??! :) Btw, the first song I remember learning (other than church songs) was Rhinestone Cowboy. I'm totally buying that on itunes tonight. Thanks! :)