Saturday, April 01, 2006

One of my Favorite Times...

... is a time like right now. It's 1:14am and everyone (except me) is sound asleep. It's pouring rain outside and all of the windows are opened a little and the attic fan is blowing gently through the house. The humming and whir of the fan is actually soothing and there is a slight breeze blowing.

I close my eyes and I'm sitting at the beach on a crisp April day with a cool breeze coming in off the water as it laps at the shore. I'm probably wearing a light jacket and shorts and I'm digging my toes into the sand as my hands huddle inside my pockets for warmth. The sound of a lone seagull is heard in the distance along with the hushed giggles of teenagers surely on a spring break vacation. I lie back on my blanket, look up at a perfect black sky dotted with millions of diamond-like clusters. I close my eyes and smell the salt on the wind and realize there is no place I'd rather be.

Then I open my eyes and I'm staring at a computer screen--realizing that my time at the beach is just a short-lived fantasy.

Guess I'll head off to bed now. Perhaps I'll find that blanket and a sky full of stars in my dreams...

No comments: