Monday, April 30, 2007

Scenery, Snowflakes, Slingshots & Sunshine

View from our room... Room 861 (click image to enlarge)

Such is the synopsis of this last week of my life...a week in which I was much too tired to blog even though internet access would have allowed me to do so. I spent the last week at the Fairmont Banff Springs Hotel in Banff, Alberta, Canada and it was a BEAUTIFUL place to be sequestered for six days.

The scenery was straight out of a marketing brochure...the window of my room providing a view so magnificent that I could have easily mistaken it for a painting hanging on the wall. The Canadian Rockies laid out before me...their snowy peaks beckoning me to ditch all event planning responsibilities and run to the hills...two large granite mountain faces framing the Rockies and protecting the scenic Bow River that snaked its way through the valley...

Each day that we were there was a glorious spring-like concoction with cool breezes and Spruce pines dancing in the warm afternoon glow. Then, Sunday morning we awoke to find no trace of mountains on the horizon. The fog had rolled in and we soon discovered what looked to be a solitary snowflake swimming in the air outside our window. Then, another. And another. Within 20 minutes time, a full-fledged snow storm had blown in and I was deliriously happy. I considered this to be the pinnacle of an already fantastic week. We southerners took delight in photographing each other as the quarter-sized flaked camped out on our eyelashes. Mule deer and elk grazed on the patches of grass behind the hotel as they turned from a brownish-green to snow-laden white.

All too soon, we boarded a passenger bus that carried us to the city of Calgary and onto the flights that would take us back to our homes. For me, it was a complete climate change as I read the weather forecast for an 85 degree day today. Armed with a hand-carved slingshot in my suitcase (which I found out was an approved "weapon" in the airline carry-on manual), I made my way home to my hubby and son. Upon arrival (at midnight last night) my son shouted "where's my surprise???" (Glad to see you, too) and I produced the slingshot which, as of today, he (thankfully) has not mastered yet.

Today was a day of glorious sunshine and summer-like activities. We practiced riding a bike sans training wheels and we played and worked in the flowerbeds. It is a day like today that reminds me what I love most about life... that familiar comfort of a little boy's laughter and the feeling that I am back where I belong this day.

There's nothing better.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hopefully, that young man has a helmet on his head whenever he is on his bike. And wait for the mastery of the slingshot, as it will come- just ask my mother.

(The Helmet Nazi, aka)

-Mr Burns

Roses Are Red, Violets are Violet said...

yup. a Lightning McQueen helmet at that!

Nancy Murphree Davis said...

Gorgeous photos and beautiful pages.

My mom visited Banff as a child. Her dad bet her that she could not walk all the way around the lake with a rock on her head. She did it! (She's still that stubborn and determined!)

I keep meaning to post some of my scrapbook pages on the un-linked link on my blog.