Sunday, April 08, 2007

Easter Memories

Easter is one of my favorite times of the year. The meaning has changed drastically for me through the years, but it will always serve as a time for renewal, hope and celebration.

Although I had a Christian upbringing, I never was exposed to a depth of knowledge that my five year old has been privy to just since coming to this country. His grasp of so many Bible stories--coupled with an insatiable desire to ask questions--has put him years ahead of where I was spiritually at that age.

For me, many memories come flooding back when this holiday rolls around:

  • Shopping for white shoes and purses at Payless Shoe Source.
  • Dying Easter eggs with the little Paas dye kit using a tiny bent wire with a loop on it.
  • Dye-stained fingers and hands from dipping the eggs into a variety of containers filled with the dark pools of different colors....
  • Mom playing "Because He Lives" on the piano before church.
  • Digging for jellybeans (pink ones--my favorite!) in the bottom of my Easter basket.
  • Chloe perfume in my Easter basket every year
  • Ham, Mom's potato salad, green beans, deviled eggs...

The meaning of Easter continues to deepen as I grow older. I am grateful for Jesus and how He died on the cross to save me from my sins. I am such an imperfect person but realize that I am perfect in God's eyes because of my faith in His son. I am also thankful for blue skies and blooming lilies and azaleas and for little girls in brightly-colored Easter dresses. I delight in the eager "gotta-find-my easter-basket" anticipation of my five-year old son as we tucked him in tonight...I rejoice in the fact that I am alive today to revel in the wonder of His creation... jellybeans, egg dye, Bible stories and all............

No comments: