Monday, January 30, 2006

Dream a Little Dream...

It's no secret that I love to sing. I have been the recipient of numerous Shower Singing Awards--too many to recount here. Of course, since I'm the only one who heard those performances, the judging wasn't very complex. I sing in the car, sing my son to sleep and always have music on in the background. Even in silence, familiar tunes dance in my head like a private concert...played only for me.

I always wanted to be a "singer." Not a recording artist, mind you--just to be considered good enough to be on some stage somewhere, spotlight burning and belting out a song that would touch each audience member for one reason or another. To sing a song whose lyrics resonate so deep within me that I can't help but pour my heart into singing them.

Why this passion and fascination with all types of music? It's a mystery to me...all I know is that music inspires me, uplifts me, comforts me and transports me to places that I've been and can only visit again through a particular song.

For instance, the song "Calypso" by John Denver comes on and I am instantly 8 years old standing in my living room as my Mom dances around, arms spread wide open singing..."To sail on a dream on a crystal clear ocean, to ride on the crest of a wild raging storm...." I can see her there and, yes, it makes me sad because she is no longer with us, but it makes me happy to be there with her...if only for a moment. Likewise, when the Indigo Girls "Midnight Train to Georgia" comes on, I'm in a car with my husband and a coworker of mine as we race around the the winding roads of Lake Tahoe trying our best to catch our 10:00am flight (we missed it--but the ride and the singing sure was fun). Another favorite memory is my sister and I belting out a particular song in harmony on a chilly Thanksgiving Day. No matter where I am when I hear it, she and I are riding along in that car without a care in the world.

I may never stand on a stage and "wow" people with my singing skills (or lack thereof); but, my love of music goes much deeper than that. It is a longstanding love affair. I turn to music and let worries and stress and problems fade away...at least for a few minutes. Because, for those precious moments, I am somewhere else and sometimes somewhere else is not such a bad place to be...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I can hear it as plain as day...to sail on a dream on a crystal clear ocean...and his voice sounds as clear and beautiful as anything.

And, I can see your mom losing herslef in the moment.

Can you imagine the concert in heaven? I am sure they are both there.