Tuesday, February 03, 2009

One of Those Times

I've written before about those little nuggets of time that make life just a little more than ordinary. These seem to pop up when you least expect it--making them all the more special.

I did not expect to have one of these moments as I waited for the bus with my son Daniel this morning.

Because it's so cold outside, I offered Daniel a drive down to the end of our long driveway so he could be warm while he waited for his bus. He eagerly accepted the offer. So, clad in my PJ's, we scurried to the car, cranked it up and and made our way down to the road.

As soon as we came to a stop, one of my favorite songs came on. If you haven't heard it, "I'm Yours" by Jason Marz is an upbeat, almost reggae-like song and, before I knew it, Daniel and I were bobbing our heads and singing along.

This may not seem like an earth-shattering, hallmark-card kind of moment but it was that and more. Because I got to spend a few precious moments with my son...not nagging him to brush his teeth or do homework, not getting onto him for throwing his basketball in the house...no this was just Daniel and Mommy time. We sang, we laughed and simply had a ball. When Bon Jovi's "I'll Be There For You" came on next I even taught it to him in sign language (cause it's the only song I know in sign language thanks to an old boyfriend). Capping it off with a stellar air drum solo just as the bus pulled up, he kissed me goodbye and hopped out of the car.

I watched my child climb onto the big yellow bus and then I put my car in reverse and slowly backed up the driveway. We had done more than just wait on his school bus. We made a memory he and I....a memory of head bobbing and air drumming and laughing together.

Those are the times I live for.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad to have you back ... hugs, Susan in Sequim