Friday, November 07, 2008

At the Ryman with Ronnie

Guess you guys MIGHT be a little tired of the Oreo Eyeball recipe being up there, huh? Darn Facebook. darnitall.

Last night, my dad and stepmom came to town and we went to see Ronnie Milsap at the Ryman Auditorium (the original Grand Ole Opry). It was fantastic. I must admit, I thought "this might be a little cheesy" and tried to name a handful of his songs. Of course, I got "Smokey Mountain Rain" right off the bat and came up with two or three more on the way to the concert.

Folks, tha man sand all night and I knew every song he did. He was amazing. At the Ryman, there's really not a bad seat in the house and I ended up having a blast with some folks sitting next to us, too...four friends from the Nashville area. He closed out the show with Smokey Mountain Rain, then America the Beautiful (which was unusually touching in light of all the post-election yammering that's being going on) and then...unexpectedly, his last song was "Honkey Tonk Women" which was so. much. fun. We were up dancing having the time of our lives (well, I was up dancing-- Keith had a sleeping 6 year old in his lap).

On a side note-- the first act was a guy that won a talent contest to be there and MARK MY WORDS PEOPLE...you will know this name soon: Mike Willis. He's from Atlanta and sang with acoustic guitar. I coulda listened to him all night. You can say you heard it on Roses are Red, my peeps...the guy is phenomenal.

OK...no more Oreo eyeball recipe. I'm gonna enjoy the rest of this cold rainy morning. I love, love, love this time of year!

(click on any photo to enlarge)

One sleepy boy!

Ronnie and the gang singing acapella

Ronnie at the keyboard

Keith, Daniel and Katie at the Ryman

Katie, Daniel and Dad

Mike Willis-- the opening act

The windows of the historic Ryman

The second act...The Grascals (bluegrass) They were a hoot!

No comments: