Friday, May 02, 2008

Mama on Da Brink

Last night was one of those nights.

Baby J. couldn't breathe very well since he was so congested so we had him in the room with us. Then, at 1:30am, I feel a familiar tug on my shoulder...


I jostle awake to find the silouhette of my six-year old standing by my bed.

"Yes, baby?"

"My tummy hurts. I'm havin' the diarrheas." (More than one?!)

I get him some medicine and take him back to his room where I proceed to lay down in his other bed for awhile.

3:30am...crying from our bedroom downstairs. I pad my way down the steps to find Keith trying to comfort Baby J. I fix him a couple ounces to tide him over til' morning, feed him and lay back down at 4:15am.

4:30am: "Mommy?" Now, unless Baby J. has bypassed crawling and walking and is now speaking coherantly, D. has returned.

5:00am finds a foursome sacked out in our bed. That is, until the alarm goes off.

Our day begins.

Skipping all the gory details to spare the sensitivities of the more fragile members of my readership (which includes me by the way!), suffice it to say, Daniel was not well today in the potty department. I wasn't overly concerned until I saw blood (sorry) Lots of it. The pediatrician wanted to see him immediately.

Fast forward to a brightly-lit exam room, a child on the table kicking his legs back and forth and asking--over and over-- whennnnnnnnnn is the doctor going to come in???? How longgggggg is it going to be? A five-month old in my arms wiggling and bucking like he's on the electric bull at Gilly's or trying to channel his inner Greg Luganis by doing a swan dive backwards out of my arms. He then proceeds to spit up all over the front of my shirt as the doctor walks in. I announced, "you are witnessing a Mama on the brink!" She understood and got to examinin'.

Bottom line? We must wait an entire (grueling) weekend to find out if D. has an E. Coli infection. It could also be salmonella or one or two other long, consonant-laden words I can't recall. I came home and did stool samples--reaffirming that I had made the correct choice when switching majors from nursing to marketing in college.

Now we must wait. Wait and keep a very active young boy from overdoing it and push liquids into his system continuously.

I'm trying to keep a sunny disposition, I swear I am. But I can't help but be a little worried, y'all.

I'll keep you posted.


Kickboxing Mama said...

Awwwwww! Big hugs to you guys :(

For baby J's congestion at night:

Try putting vicks vapor rub on the bottoms of his feet and sticking socks on his feet. Apparently this works really well!

Anonymous said...

Praying for you!!!

Megan (FriedOkra) said...

You poor things! I'm sorry... feel better and hopefully get some solid sleep soon.

christine said...

What a homecoming, so sorry. Just curious, has D been taking Motrin for any reason? You are in my prayers.

MiaKatia said...

Please call me if you need ANYTHING!

Cindy-Still His Girl said...

Oh, no! :( PLEASE let us know asap how he does!!

Amber said...

praying for an extra dose of strength, rest, and patience to come your way!!! hope D is feeling much better very soon :)