Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Day is Done

Today has been one of those days. One of those days that you're glad is over--even after acknowledging the fact that every day is precious. But, today has been anything but precious.

I woke up with a sore throat and a case of what I'm sure is PMS. (for any guys reading this...you knew the "chick talk" would make its way in here sooner or later, didn't you?!) Anyway, I wasn't feeling 100% as I drove Daniel to school.

"Be nice to your friends, don't take their toys, listen to your teacher and you'll be a good boyyyy" I sang cheerily as we rounded the circular drive into his school. He happily sang along and I showed him the shiny quarter that would be placed in his "Quarter Jar" if he was on the "green light" when I picked him up.

Each day, as I turn the corner to pick Daniel up, I face the long hallway that seems to keep getting longer as I walk...like a scene straight out of Poltergeist. At the end awaits his teacher cocked and ready to tell me the latest offense on my son's record. Well, today as I waited outside with all the other mothers, the principal opens the door and, in front of all the other waiting Moms announces "Daniel was in my office today for saying a bad word." Thank you. Thanks for all but using a bullhorn to showcase my son's bad behavior. Sigh.....

As I head down the HOD (or Hall of Dread as I like to refer to it) I learn that my son used the "h-e-double-hockey-stick word while going into chapel of all places. My child inherited my timing for sure!

Then, to add the cherry to my already crappy-day sundae, I am told that his front tooth is loose because he collided with a classmate.

Long story short...a dentist visit and a few X-rays later, I receive the news: his front tooth must be removed and will not grow back for another 3 or so years. THREE YEARS??????

So...needless to say, I'm turning it in. I wanted to share the loveliness of this day on my blog because I tend to write about the flowery, ooey, gooey part of parenthood and avoid writing about the challenges.

Well, there you go. I'm sure there will be a sweet moment soon that will balance things out a little. But, for now, I'm off to bed.

After all, tomorrow is another day!

1 comment:

dewde said...

Dearest Katie:

This post brightened my day. Not because of what happened to you, but because of how you told the story.

Crappy days suck. I'm glad you were at least able to salvage yours through creative blogging.

I think I was 2 years old when I took a swan dive, face first, out of a shopping cart. Consequently, I was minus one front tooth until about 7 or 8 years old.

So look on the bright side! Daniel is sure to turn out exactly like me, or at least somewhere in the vicinity. No doubt about it, if he keeps traveling the Universe of life at his current trajectory, you're in deep doo doo. You'll have a mini-Chris right there living with you.

Makes me smile just thinking about it.