Tuesday, June 20, 2006

July 10, 2081

My birthday is on a Thursday in the year 2081.

Why is this significant? For absolutely no reason whatsoever. But, a strange feeling came over me when I was looking at a perpetual calendar site online and realized there were many years staring at me from the screen. . .and I would not be alive for most of them.

Ever had a moment of utter mortality awareness? That was my moment. Actually, the site would show you calendars all the way up to the year 9999--which was a little freaky in itself--but what shook me up a little more was the year 2081.

On July 10, 2081, I would turn 110. I know it would be no Guiness record or anything, but I'm pretty positive I won't be around on that day. So, looking at that date and knowing that I won't be here is a little spooky.

Those of you that know me, know that I am a Christian. So, I'm sure you're wondering why I wouldn't be excited to know where I WILL be on that day. I am. But, I am also human, and the thought of what will be going on July 10, 2081 (when I'm not around) intrigues me. My son will hopefully be 79 years old and reminding his grandchildren that his mother would have been 110 today. Then, maybe he'll climb into his Jetson-like hovercraft and go home to pack for his weekend trip to the moon, right? Who knows what the world will be like then. I sure don't.

But, is it just me or don't we all secretly wish that the world would not be able to function without us? Maybe that's a little eg0-centric of me, but it is weird to see calendar dates that I'm sure will be past my last day here on Earth.

Then again, who knows when our last day will be?

:: crickets chirping ::

:: crickets chirping ::

1 comment:

Maria Baker said...

What an eerie thought. I have had the misfortune of being in several events in which I could have been killed or was almost killed. Lemme tell you, it really makes you think. I've enjoyed reading your blog. You write very well.