Tuesday, October 12, 2010

My Name's Not Flo, But You Can Still Kiss My Grits

As the warm, gentle glow of morning light softly kisses the horizon and the stars fade as a new day opens its sleepy eyes to greet me, I hear "POP TART CHOCATE MILK!"

Such is the good morning greeting I get from the youngest of my spawn.

Everyone has a routine of sorts in the morning-- even if their routine is to not have a routine at all. Lately, mine has been the demand of a 2 year old for a Pop Tart. Lest he think that is how to get what you want, I go through the motherly motions of "is that how we are supposed to ask?" or... "what would be a better way to ask Mommy?" So, then he tries again: "Peez Momma, may I have PopTart and chocate milk?"

Much better.

The culinary demands of my oldest are much more refined. He has developed a negotiation strategy that has served him well. "If I get up on the first try, will you make me an omelette?" Now, seeing as this child makes a toothpick look meaty, I will pretty much cook him anything he wants if he will eat it. After the terms of the agreement are ironed out, he jumps out of bed and I head to the kitchen (a.k.a. Katie's Trusty Skillet) to fulfill his request.

Although the "getting-ready-for-school-catch-the-bus-where's-my-other-shoe-did-you-grab-your-homework" hub-bub of my mornings can be a bit chaotic at times, I wouldn't trade it for the world. Pop tarts and chocolate milk and cheese omelettes aside, those little fellas need me. But for now, I wear my Short Order Cook uniform proudly and will serve up whatever their hearts desire (within reason, of course!) :)

Ding. Ding. Order up.

2 comments:

Sincerely Anna said...

Haha, I enjoyed this. Maybe because I feel like I'm working in a diner, too. Parallel lives, Katie!

Lighthousegal said...

Your morning routine sounds very familiar to me. I have one very similiar to it. My youngest is 16 but the routine has changed very little. She is a very picky eater, so I too cook up what ever she puts in an order for. Our morning bargaining is usually I'll cook this if you get up and don't lay back down after your shower.
I drive her to school each morning and we are constantly leaving at the last minute due to her not being able to find her shoes or books or certain jackets etc.
But I wouldn't trade it for nothing in the world. I know that soon she will be off to college.
So hectic as they are, enjoy those mornings.