Thursday, October 28, 2010

Just When You Shower and Put on Make-Up, Life Throws a Deer at Ya

It had been a rough few days at the Casa de Bodiford. After the marathon trip from Vegas, I got to have an unexpected Mommy-Son Date at the Vanderbilt Urgent Care on Sunday morning. Daniel was diagnosed with Strep and I, not wanting to be left out of the fun, came out with an inner and outer ear infection. We don't believe in doing anything halfway. No sir.

Then, there was the rush-order eagle habitat diorama project thingy, Daniel returning to school to turn in project thingy in the pouring rain, followed by my ear infection turning into "There Has to Be a Midget Lodged in My Ear Stabbing Me With an Ice Pick" syndrome landing me back in urgent care for a re-evaluation.

Isn't this fun to read about? Oh but wait. There's more. Yes, I said more. The FUN IT NEVER STOPS, I TELL YA.

So after getting a shot in the boo-tay which made me feel a million and one times better, I tell D we are going to pick up Jacob, meet Dad for dinner and go find his Halloween costume. I showered. I picked out an outfit that was not made of a stretchy material, I put on make-up and I even DID MY HAIR (meaning no pigtails or ballcap, y'all. I'm not making this stuff up!). I might have even felt somewhat sassy. (I guess being clean will do that to ya)

So, I have picked up the youngest of my spawn and we are toodling (yes, I said toodling) down the highway picking up speed when all of a sudden BAM! a deer runs out onto the highway from my left hand side and straight into my van. It was such an out-of-the-blue startle, I tried to veer to the right but it was too late. I hit it full speed, it crashed into my door, knocked off the mirror, flipped onto my windshield breaking it before flying over the top of my van and into the unknown. Daniel (who has been in an accident before) flipped out and I pulled over to the side of the road and tried to console him before evaluating the damage.

After trying my door which would not open, I had to "Bo Duke-it" (if you don't get that reference, that means I am old) out the passenger side door. I called the police who showed up in full force making it look more like a drug bust than an accident scene.

The good thing is the boys and I were not hurt. Yes, Momma's Morning Party Van is a little banged up but it's nothing that can't be fixed. It is just another speed bump in the road of life...slowing us down and making us remember the important things. Life, loved ones and finding Halloween costumes which Daniel pointed out to me as I was answering the police officer's questions.

"We're STILL GONNA GO GET MY HALLOWEEN COSTUME RIGHT, MOM?"

"Yes, son. We're all alive and safe and not in an ambulance. And yes, we're going to get your costume."

See how good I am at teaching priorities?

So, here I sit, alive, still somewhat clean and nursing a 2 year old with a 102 fever. The Week of Non-Stop Fun Continues. :)

Stay Tuned....

2 comments:

Mia said...

I am so glad you have been writing this week... although I am not glad you had to fly Delta (blech) or that you and the boys have been so sick! But I am glad that you guys weren't hurt in the accident. Deer are dangerous.

Aimeeo said...

You tell the bestests stories