Sunday, February 18, 2007

Look at me...

...there has to be....something more than what they see.....

So I just finished watching the Grease and my dream part growing up...Sandy.

You know, I always wanted to be a Broadway star...well, also an English professor at a junior college...and a tennis coach. Oh yeah, and I dreamed of being the event planner for the White House. Then, there was that desire to be a photojournalist. Then I dreamt of owning a bed and breakfast. Perhaps I could be a florist? No, it had to be geriatric nursing. So, with that in mind I ended up in Graphic Design and Marketing and became a meeting planner.

Isn't it funny how life twists and turns and pulls itself inside out until you barely recognize the person you started off thinking you wanted to be?

I am content with my career choice; however, every now and then, I imagine myself helping a struggling student understand the rhythm of iambic pentameter in literature or jetting off to a remote photo shoot in Zimbabwe for National Geographic (or, better yet, blasting off to the moon on a space mission!) My interests are many and are so widely varied that it seems slightly comical that one person could have considered so many different career paths and yet end up in a completely different place.

Like some, I struggle with the dreams I never chased...their remnants floating in the breeze like the tail of a kite...still recognizable in the sky but giving way to circumstance, missed opportunity or perhaps something as simple as personal choice. I now try to weave those interests into my life. Instead of teaching English, I choose to pursue my love of the written word with this blog. I plant flowers in my own garden instead of creating FTD bouquets and I try to make guests feel as though they are visiting a bed and breakfast...even if I can't own one! As for the photojournalism, well, my five year old son must be the most photographed human being on Earth ( with the Pitt-Jolie offspring coming in a close second) and the astronaut thing will just have to go down as a childhood fantasy.

My life path is scattered with choices--both wise and not so--but they have all led me to the place I am today. I may not have followed the road map I originally intended for myself. But, let me tell you, it's been one heck of a journey.

No comments: