Sunday, May 10, 2009

Sliced Tomatoes and "Co-Cola"

It's so easy to think about my Mom today and all the ways she made my world a better place to be. But who was responsible for shaping her into the person she became? Frances Lightsey...a.k.a. my MeMe.

MeMe was the quintessential Southern lady. Prim and proper to the core, she always boasted perfectly coiffed hair and a never-chipped red nailpolish always adorned the tips of her dainty fingers. She was quite a bit older than other grandparents I knew (she'd be 102 this year!) but she had a sparkle about her that was unmistakable.

Meme could always be found in the kitchen standing with one arm behind her back because of lower back pain.... but she didn't let that stop her from whipping up her famous chicken spaghetti or from serving sliced tomatoes at EVERY meal(quite possibly the reason I do not like them today!). She and my grandfather George were very much in love and I cherish memories of him stealing a kiss as he'd breeze through on his way to do yardwork or tinker in the garage.

If I close my eyes, I am transported back to the kitchen of their little 700-sq. ft house in Robertsdale, Alabama with its freshly-mopped white linoleum floors and the smell of perfume and cooking spices mingling in the air. MeMe is sitting on a stool at the kitchen counter gently dropping salted peanuts into her little glass bottles of "Co-Cola"...

Frances Lightsey was an interesting lady brimming with grace, intellect and love. I only wish that I would have had a little more time with her to fully appreciate what a complex and intriguing woman she was.

But, as I take time to reflect today and think about my own journey down motherhood's path, I cherish each and every memory I have of my grandmother and will never take for granted what a special role she played in my life.

2 comments:

Cindy-Still His Girl said...

Love you, and I love the way you love your mom.

When are you coming back to Indiana?

Suz said...

I hope my granddaughters think of me as lovingly as you do your Meme when they are grown. Thanks for sharing.

Suz