Sunday, December 31, 2006

It Happened So Fast...

After a relaxing holiday at home, it was time to hit the road to visit family through New Year's day. I had devised the best plan to surprise my sister who was stopping over at my Dad and stepmom's house in Navarre, Florida on her way home from Mississippi. She had been sad that she wouldn't see me during the holidays so I began plotting. I would rent a car last Tuesday (12/26) and Daniel and I would drive down to Florida and suprise her with gifts (and ourselves) in tow! Well, that did end up happening but the surprise didn't take place in Florida...it happened at 75mph on I-85 South between Auburn and Montgomery, AL when Daniel and I were involved in a bad car accident.

I had rented a Chevy malibu--a small/intermediate size car-- since I was only using it the one day and planned to turn it in the next morning. Daniel was in the back strapped into his seat watching a movie and I was listening to my iPod (my new love) and singing in pure contentment. The sun was shining, it was a cool, breezy winter day outside and I was on a top-secret mission to make my sister very happy. To say I was content would be an understatement.

Then I reached back to check Daniel's movie-- which was actually right beside me since the passenger seat was pushed all the way forward--and my left tires swerved over onto the "rumble" strips on the left shoulder. Realizing this, I corrected but the car responded much quicker than my Expedition does and I began to fishtail at 70-75 mph. The back of the car swerved left, then right, then my left side crashed into the guardrail causing us to spin around no less than 4 times before slamming head on into a concrete bridge support. The front of the car was ripped off and had apparently been thrown through the air and landed on the opposite side of the interstate outside the guardrails.

It all happened so fast and, after the first hit, the airbag exploded in my face filling the car with smoke as we spun. The only thought swirling through my head was "Daniel is with me and this is how we are going to die." When the car came to a stop facing the wrong way in the fast lane I tried to get out but had to kick the driver-side door open before running around to check on Daniel. His eyes were the size of saucers and he wasn't making a sound but, wehn I opened his door, he started screaming "am I dead, Mommy? Is this Heaven?" Those words sent me into hysterics, which made him cry harder, so I had to compose myself to keep him calm.

Onlookers stopped to help, fire engines, ambulance and police arrived and suddenly, we were in a swirl of flashing lights and people with gloves on taking personal information and asking questions about how it all happened. Strangers comforted my son as I tried to dial my husband's number and battle with Avis employees on the phone who were, let's say, less than concerned about our well-being. For a moment, everything went silent and appeared to be in slow motion. The lights, the gawking passerby, the strangers who had become angels and the car that had once held two highly contented people...now a crumpled mass with headlights dangling freely like a monster's eyeballs in a scary cartoon. It all became a little much and I sat down in the median and wept. It was more than sadness about the wrecked car or the spoiled surprise or the madness that surrounded me. I wept at the very thought of what could have been the outcome. How did we not hit any other cars? How did we not tumble end over end as we spun out of control at such at a high speed? How did we come out of the wreck with only cuts and bruises? The enormity of the "free pass" we received hit me at that moment. In a flash, our lives could have ended but they hadn't. The sheer miracle of it was enough to take my breath away.

We did get to surprise my sister as she detoured to come to pick me up at the scene. Ripped Christmas gifts in tow, we headed down to Florida as scheduled...just a little delayed and a little more battered than we had planned.

There are many things I learned on the side of the interstate that day. I learned that there is nothing important enough to distract you when driving and that spilled juices or movies skipping will have to wait from now on...I learned that college rivalries don't matter when a person who is wearing a sweatshirt from your arch rival school is holding and comforting your son. But, most importantly, I learned that, in the blink of an eye, life can be forever changed. My son and I are blessed to be here today and I take my awareness of that fact into this new year.........

8 comments:

dewde said...

I praise God for you and Daniel!

dewde said...

While the first post was accurate, what I really wanted to say was "WHAT THE CRAP LADY?!? PRECIOUS CARGO ON BOARD!!! HELLO!!!"

Roses Are Red, Violets are Violet said...

I'll choose to take that last comment as "I know that my friend feels so badly about the accident that I wouldn't DREAM of presuming that she doesn't realize the enormity of the possible consequences of her actions." :-)

Anonymous said...

Oh...my...word. I'm SO thankful you & Daniel are ok. God's not short on miracles, is He. Give Daniel a huge hug from me, and you expect one too, when I see you next!

Happy New Year Katiebod.

Lexy said...

Oh sweetie, how incredibly frightening, I can't imagine. I'm so glad you are both okay.

Anonymous said...

I'm just in tears reading this ... how many times have I checked the movie for my children? How many times have I looked backward to see if something was spilling? In your honor, I promise to never, ever do any of the above again. You and Daniel are very, very lucky. God bless both of you.
XOXO
Kim

Anonymous said...

After not thinking that I would see you guys until February and actually getting to spend time with you was my birthday
surprise... that you and Daniel were not injured was my birthday blessing...I love you, KK!

Anonymous said...

Katie, we are so glad that God took care of everything in that split second and things turned out the way they did. I think we all know that life is fragile and it can end just as quickly as it began. I can tell you how many near misses I have had in my lifetime and I am always thankful to God for sparing me. We love you guys and hope to get down there really soon and see everyone.
Love, you SIL
Shannon