Tuesday, September 19, 2006

An Old Friend

The first days of fall are, without question, my favorite time of the year.

This afternoon consisted of a crisp 75 degrees, sunshine peeking through tree branches and a light breeze. With only 38% humidity in the air, I couldn't help but go outside and play with my husband and child as the daylight hours dwindled down. Daniel and I took to the creekbed once again and, along with our golden retriever, went exploring as Keith cut the front yard. The temperature was perfect and it was as if the air itself was breathing a sigh of relief at this seasonal transition.

I'm ready for autumn and all the comforts of my childhood that it brings. In fact, each time this season rolls around, it's like being reacquainted with a dear old friend.

I can't wait for pumkin patches to pop up and for the smell of burning leaves in the air...caramel apples rolled in crushed peanuts and rows of purple and gold mums adorning the entrances of landscape nurseries around town. Hay bales and falling leaves and brisk mornings to awaken the senses... high school and college football games with the pulsating sounds of drum lines... Halloween preparations and discussions of holiday plans...

Fall is a time of renewal for me--the time of year when I feel most alive...when swirling leaves dance around as if inviting me to join in...

With another steamy Georgia summer behind me, I am grateful to bid farewell to sweltering hot, sticky days and wrap my arms around the greatest season of all.

Welcome back, my friend...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my, Katie! This post is as delicious as a steaming pumpkin pie fresh from the oven filling the air with fragrant ribbons of cinnamon and nutmeg. It's as touching as opening the door to a 3 ft. angel winging her way to treats on Halloween. You've given us the warm glow of candlelit-jack-o-lantern eyes and visions of falling leaves dancing in our heads. Ahhh...I think I'll go light an apple or pumpkin spice candle now...
Thank you, friend!

Roses Are Red, Violets are Violet said...

hmmm.... fragrant ribbons of cinnamon...candlelit jack-o-lantern eyes... I think I'll replace my post with your comment!

:-)

When the heck are you going to start a blog?? Your comments are just a tease! I want more! :-)