Sunday, September 02, 2007

It's That Time Again, Folks...

It's back y'all. The end of my life as I know it...or, at least for a few months anyway.

College football season.

And, just like last year's post at this time, I was happy to see it roll around. Much like an old friend that you see after a long absence, football season embraces me and says "welcome back. Welcome to all things familiar. Here's your itinerary for your weekends and I really like what you've done with your hair."

OK, so I made that last one up.

Of course, I did what I do every year and teared up when the first notes of the fight song played. No, it's not my alma mater...it's my husband's. And, no I'm not some sap who wants to make something bigger out of the sport than it is. It is, after all, just a game.

But, to me, standing there with the same folks we've been seated with for the past half dozen years, it's a feeling of renewal. It's the start of a brand new year full of possibility and teeming with excitement, anticipation and hope. Not necessarily all centered around football, mind you. It's a time to put all the disappointments, failures, and challenges of the previous year behind us.

For many, this ritual usually occurs around midnight on January 1; but, for me, I'd rather celebrate by ushering in my favorite season surrounded by 92, 380 of my closest friends.

This year differed little from our Game Day routine of years past. There's the desire to get there at dawn-thirty-- even though the game doesn't start til 6:00pm. Ice chests loaded down with homemade goodies, comfy chairs to sit in and pom pons ready for the shakin. There's the obligatory trip to the Quad to see what's goin on as well as racing across the street to the team's hotel to support them as they board the buses bound for the stadium. There's little boys in football helmets and girls with crimson A's painted on their faces. There are alumni and a myriad of other fans eager to ring in a new year.

I'm sure as the season wears on, I may lose a tinge of enthusiasm as the six-hour round trip drive becomes mundane. But for now, I smile at the first of what I hope are many "W's" in our win/loss column and I embrace this longtime friend with delight. College football season is back upon us, folks.

Bring it on.

4 comments:

Megan Cobb said...

I'm a Clemson fan and I can relate to the fightsong tears. I never get homesick up here until we watch the Tigers play on football Saturdays. And then I get achey to be "home." I totally get it. Have a GREAT season. Roll Tide! Go Tigers!

Roses Are Red, Violets are Violet said...

Yeah, football in the south is a little different, isn't it? :-)

Anonymous said...

Keith was like a kid on Christmas Eve Saturday morning. Yes, our focus was on the trip, but he was REALLY focused on being in front of the TV when AU started playing and then again when they really started playing the last few minutes of the game.

Girl Gone Wild - BibleStyle said...

I hear ya! Although I'm a Sooner fan (since the 70's) and a Buckeye fan (since the mid 90's) I kind of got suckered in on the Buckeye thing due to my hubby. Both teams keep me hopping!

Good luck this year!