Thursday, February 08, 2007

Wisdom Beyond His 5 Years

Tonight as I glanced through the Valentine's cards at Wal-Mart, a particular one caught my eye. The title read "Happy Valentine's Mom" and the cover bore a sketch of a woman dressed in striped tights and an art smock with a bandana in her hair. On an easel she had sketched a heart and she was grasping an artsy paint pallette in her hand. Somewhat reluctantly I opened the card and read "thank you for always letting me know that I didn't have to be perfect to be perfectly loved..."

My eyes welled up with tears and I swiftly moved to the self checkout to avoid making a scene with my ill-timed burst of emotion. "You know better than to pick up a card that reads 'To Mom', " I thought to myself. Once I reached the car, I could no longer hold it in and wept for the loss I felt. Daniel asked, "Why is Mommy crying?" Keith replied, "She's just a little sad because she misses Grammy."

With the calm rationale of a man, Daniel's response was, "Mommy...do you remember when we sent that balloon up to Grammy as a present? Well, why don't we buy that card, tie it onto another balloon and send it up to her for Valentine's Day?" And then, ever so insightfully he added, "Don't be sad, Mommy. You know, we'll get to see Grammy again when we get to heaven. So, don't worry...it will all be OK....."

Am I not supposed to be the bandager of wounds? With his sweet words, my newly 5-year old son had found a way to soothe my heart... with a wisdom far beyond his years.

No comments: